[plug] Advice please

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 16 13:05:40 WST 2000

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 12:03:09PM +0800, skribe wrote:
> At 03:47 16/02/00 +0000, Christian wrote:
> >Hmmm... so perhaps the reason you're tossing $$$'s at this new
> >machine is really a cry for help?  That is, you want to beef up
> >your Linux machine so that you can migrate to Linux for doing your
> >"real" work and
[ snip ]
> Nice try at psychobabble, Christian, but no cigar for you.  I know
> you feel threatened by other people using OSes oher than linux but
> you really shouldn't be.

I've never got the impression that Christian feels that way. I think
you might be reading stuff into his message that isn't really there.

Anyway, I'm sure he's more than capable of defending himself.

> Linux is a good OS, but it's nowhere near perfect.  Chill out.

I think everyone on this list is (or should be) _well_ aware of this. ;)

On a (vaguely) related topic (mainly just because I feel like telling
someone), I finally managed to successfully install _and_ boot one of
the BSDs last night - NetBSD 1.4.1. I'd had problems in the past with
both Open 2.[56] and Free 3.3, both installing fine but then for some
reason refusing to boot. I suspect it's probably due to a slightly
dodgy SCSI adaptor on the target machine, but NetBSD didn't seem to
have any problems with it.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised with the install process of
NetBSD, too - it's quite a bit more friendly than OpenBSD's, though
not quite as slick as Free or most Linuxes (I'd actually rate it as
better than Debian's though). I'd tried installing NetBSD about three
years ago and cleverly managed to almost trash my (not backed up and
with lots of valuable stuff on it) hard disk, so I was very happy that
they've so significantly improved it.

Waffle waffle waffle. Anyway, back to lunch. *munch munch*

> skribe

Pete the Raconteur.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
JOHN CLEESE PLAYED: SECOND SOLDIER WITH A KEEN INTEREST IN BIRDS, LARGE MAN
                    WITH DEAD BODY, BLACK KNIGHT, MR NEWT (A VILLAGE