[plug] Backspace problem in X windows

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Feb 16 15:13:21 WST 2000

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Oliver White wrote:

> For some reason my backspace key isn't working in X windows, or not as
> it shoud. It deletes the characters in front of it as delete does,

This is an FFAQ, but i thought more recent distros had fixed it.
Which are you using?
And are you talking about xterm inside X, or Motif widgets, or what?

My .xinitrc has:

##### Fix for Motif, etc. Backspace problem:
# xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
# xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"
# June'99: above commented out. This is now standard for Redhat 6.0.

In .Xdefaults:

 XTerm.VT100.Translations: #override <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
    <Key>Delete:    string(0x1b) string("[3~") \n\

So backspace sends a DEL ascii code, and Del sends a VT100 escape
sequence. Then make sure your shell understands these, and
  stty erase ^?

Simple, eh ? :)

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--