[plug] Advice please

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Sat Feb 19 07:08:47 WST 2000

> I'm about to buy a new computer to replace our aging P133 home server.  My
> working price range is $3000-3500 for the complete system.  The main
> problem is choosing a CPU.  There is fortunately a multitude of options.
> Unfortunately I'm a little overwhelmed and would like some advice.  This is
> what I'm considering (not an exhaustive list by any means =) :
>
> dual celeron 533
> athlon 650

I am sorely tempted at the idea of buying a BP6 M/b and a couple of sticks
of celery. Seems likely to me that a couple of 400s would shake up any UP
system.

It also seems to me there is a dimishing return as one buys into the
faster CPUs; the price goes up a lot, the performance a little.

I do think a BP6-based system would leave change from your $3000 - lots of
it.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield