[plug] Printing - Mandrake

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 21 14:24:49 WST 2000

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 02:06:08PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
> > Another printing problem.
[ snip ]
> > Has anyone else had such problems with upgrading from one version
> > to another?  I am at the point where I am going to blot it and
> > start again.  I hope that these problems are due to upgrading and
> > not endemic to Mandrake7.0.  The mailing lists do not seem to
> > indicate any major probs with 7.0.
> >
> > BillK
>
> I understand that Mandrake no longer is based on Red Hat Linux.
>
>From an email from Mandrake,
>
> "We aren't based on any Red Hat version anymore. Mandrake 7.0 is far
> away superior to Red Hat 6.1."

There is some truth in that, at least from a workstation/user
perspective. The install is as pretty (or prettier) than a Win98
install, and the device detection is excellent. A friend at work
installed it on his Gateway Solo 9300SL notebook - it autodetected
everything (including sound) except USB and Firewire (not much
surprise there - he is intending to try out the firewire driver that's
just been GPL-released though).

He'd had endless display (and other lesser) problems with Redhat 6.1
on the notebook, and so was very happy to have everything working so
easily.

However, from my own perspective, their package management and
"updating" setup is still a loooong way behind Debian's. I probably
wouldn't recommend Mandrake to a hard-core hacker, but to someone with
technical inclination but little time to waste on fine-tuning, who
just wants to be able to use things easily, it's very good.

> Perhaps, the problems lay somewhere in that.
> --
>
> Bret Busby

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
BODY:        I'm not dead!
CART DRIVER: 'Ere.  He says he's not dead.