Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Wed Feb 23 00:49:18 WST 2000

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, John Summerfield wrote:
> > Most times I can find an rpm created for Red Hat, though often for the
> > wrong version.
> And hence rarely better than a tarball, and usually worse.

Twaddle.

I can type rpm --rebuild a darn sight faster than I can untar and read the
instructions.

> > The big disadvantage of tarballs is that rpm doesn't know what files it
> > installs, so upgrading & removing are both more difficult.
> No, that's an _advantage_ over unofficial RPMs. You put the files where
> they are, so you know what to remove. Who knows what an unofficial RPM
> might do?

rpm --erase removes it.
rpm -ql lists all its files.

> > I use RHL because it works. I have no problem with folk using other
> > distros, however, I don't expect I'd recoup the time converting if I did
> > convert to something else.
> You might be surprised. Probably depends how much and how many Linux
> systems you use, and whether they are production/development/stuff-around.

DTo be sure it depends on how many boxes. I said "I."

If I were employed to look after a few thousand of them, it might be
different.

> > If I install another vendor's distro, it will because of something else
> > packaged with it.
> If something is packaged with only one distro, I wouldn't touch it. :)
> OK, so that's a generalisation, but still a rule of thumb.

Caldera has shipped stuff not available from others at times; I think it
recently had SO included, and cost heaps less than RHL.

If I wanted to upgrade to a new release and xxxxdist has Oracle and I want
to play with Oracle, getting xxxxdist makes sense.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield