[plug] Serveraid 3L controller and Redhat 5.2

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Wed Feb 23 07:55:24 WST 2000

Ian Kent wrote:

> Garth Atkinson wrote:
> >
> > Hello Pluggers
> >
> > Can the boot disk that redhat 5.2 uses at installation time be updated
> > with IBM serveraid support?
>
> Maybe, but ...
>

> > I have to stay with that version of redhat unfortunately and it does not
> > detect the 3L card (and so does not find any disk space) !!!!!
>
> The current implementation of RAID on Linux does not provide root file
> system support.
> There is some blurb about setting up a mirrored root system in the
> raidtools package and it is likely that it can be done for raid 5 also,
> if you wish.

The serveraid 3L raid controller implements raid using hardware only.
The controller appears as a normal SCSI card to the OS, hence no
knowledge of raid by the OS is necessary. Redhat 6.0,6.1 and COL 2.2,2.3
support the card, so would Mandrake.

I ahve modified the RH5.2 boot disk to use a new (2.2.10) kernel with
support for the 3L card. I will let you know how I get along.

Garth