[plug] Spellcheck please

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 23 11:26:42 WST 2000

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 02:30:43AM +0000, Christian wrote:
> Leon Brooks wrote:
> > > Sensible subscribers also don't impune the list manager when
> > > he/she is acting out the wishes of the majority of subscribers.
> >
> > Impugn. http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=impugn
> >
> > If we're gonna whinge, let's at least whinge about something
> > important, like spelling and grammar. (-:
>
> For God's sake Leon, get a life!  Out of the continuous stream of
> grammatical and spelling errors to grace this list, why pick on this
> one?

"Why climb Mount Everest?"

"It was there."

> If you don't have something constructive to say, don't waste my
> time.

But he _did_ have something constructive to say.
Well, at least amusing :-]

> And, incidentally, a spelling check wouldn't have helped in
> this case since "impugn" and "impune" are both words.

Holy crap, so it is. Time to update my mental dictionary.

INSERT INTO MentalDictionary VALUES "impune", '\Im*pune\, a. [L.  impunis.] Unpunished. [R.]' ;

Pete.

PS. Irony, Christian. I-ron-ee. Just like goldy and bronzy, only it's
made from iron.

[ shouldn't be necessary, but anyway: ;-) ]
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
"The idea of abstracting away the one thing that must be blindingly fast, the
kernel, is inherently counter productive."

  -- Linus Torvalds on Microkernels (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly & Associates)