[plug] Mandrake & Printing

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Feb 23 12:50:01 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:

> > If, like most distributions, Mandrake installs countless unneeded
> > servers and, like most distributions, includes the obligatory couple of
> > remote vulnerabilities that have been discovered and patched since the
> > last release then tightening up file permissions seems like a complete
> > waste of time.  (Question for some home users, new to Linux: are you
> > running a recent version of BIND with a remote root exploit?  You might
> > be without having any idea that your you-beaut, user-friendly
> > distribution helpfully installed the DNS server software for you...)
>
> From a Linux user who probably has the level of knowledge mentioned, "Eh, wot?"
>
> You lost me after the words "a recent version of".

My point exactly.

A machine running BIND:
eagle:~# netstat -a|grep domain|egrep 'udp|tcp'
tcp        0      0 eagle.amnet.net.:domain *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*
LISTEN
udp        0      0 eagle.amnet.net.:domain
*:*
udp        0      0 localhost:domain
*:*

A machine not:
sentry:~# netstat -a|grep domain|egrep 'udp|tcp'
sentry:~#

Of course, not all versions of BIND are vulnerable but, depending on the
age of your installation, there's a reasonable chance that yours is if
it's running.  Either way, if you're a home user who perhaps just a
little hazy as to what BIND actually is, you probably don't really need
to be running it... ;-)

Regards,

Christian.