[plug] Directcom modems

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Fri Feb 25 09:50:04 WST 2000

> Paul Wilson wrote:
>
> Has anyone managed to get a Directcom V90 voice/fax modem working with
> Linux?
>
> iinet have a page showing a suggested init string which gets 'ERROR'
> back from the modem.  The Linux hardware compat guide isn't
> particularly forthcoming about modems.  My USRobotics init string
> (predictably) didn't work either.
>
> The driver sites on the net don't mention it either :-(
>
> So, before it gets chucked off a tall building, I have a need to tap
> into the collected expertise of plug.
>
> Hopefully,
>
> Paul
Start simply - Reduce the init string to the bare minimum of ATZ or
AT&F0. Then add the extra AT settings one at a time until you find the
setting that is causing the error. Identify what that setting relates
to, determine if it is required, and find an alternative that your modem
does understand.

Using a terminal program (minicom,seyon) or something like cu makes this
process very fast.

Garth