Why I use Debian. Apt pros & cons

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Feb 25 15:10:00 WST 2000

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> In general, you are right, but as soon as you have one broken package,
> your system will not be quite clean, and is not guaranteed to run
> smoothly. It will probably never happen, but you might end up with trouble
> a year down the track. Two examples:
[snip]

Yes, you're right; I have fallen foul to that myself (including the KDE
example). If you stick to trusted sources, though, it's very robust (esp if you
stick solely to the official "stable" ^_^).

> I'm happy with grep, myself, but I agree that apt would be better at
> selecting the right context than grep, and would work offline better than
> lynx. Maybe that's a project for someone learning C. (or is apt in perl?)

One of these days... I keep meaning to write a few Perl scripts, maybe even let
'em loose for others to use. It wouldn't be very hard...

: Web Systems Administrator      -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :