Why I use Debian. Was Re: [plug] Mandrake - printing

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Fri Feb 25 15:33:09 WST 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, John Summerfield wrote:
> > Then I reiterate: Anything distribution-specific is not a "killer app.".
> > It is either poorly programmed or ridiculously restricted by license.
> You are entitled to your views,  but have the grace to recognise they are
> not held by others as universal truths.
Which of my views have I been espousing as a universal truth?

> Many people have no problem using commercial products, and for some
> purposes there is no satisfactory alternative.
Have you somehow got the impression that I disagree with this? I have made
some statements against non-free software, but never against commercial
software. If it is non-free software you are talking about, then surely
the mail client I am using will tell you that I don't have a problem with
the use of such.

> DB/2 and Oracle are both high-end RDMSs, there is no free alternative.
> If you want a high-performance database amounting to terabytes of data,
> postgresql is not a choice.
Are you citing these as examples of distribution-specific software? If so,
you are quite mistaken.

-Greg