[plug] Hum causing modem dropout

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Fri Feb 25 07:39:15 WST 2000

> On Thu, 24 Feb 100, Greg Gamble wrote:
>
> >   He has 3 phone points with three phones plugged into them.
> > One point usually has a T200 phone connected. When the T200 is
> > connected at this point there is a noticeable hum on the line.
> > However, when the T200 is swapped for other phones the hum
> > disappears, and when the T200 is plugged into one of the other
> > points there is no hum.
> >   When the modem is needed it is plugged into the T200's usual
> > point after disconnecting the T200. However soon after dialling
> > up via the modem, the modem loses the carrier. We believe it's
> > due to a hum building up on the line.
>
> The T200 use the phone line to charge thier batteries .... that really
> confuses a modem :(

How many people actually read the problem description? I've noticed three
who didn't observe that the T200 was disconnected at the time of the
problem.

I'd plug the modem into another socket; the hum on that one line sounds
like the probable explanation.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield