printing probs (rh6.1)

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Feb 27 11:24:33 WST 2000

I finally received my new HDD and was able to install rh6.1 from
scratch. After doing that I was also able to recreate the printing
(or lack of /dev/lp0) problems that others were having.

Now, I don't know the cause of why this seemed to break between
rh6.0 and rh6.1 but I do know how to fix:

- recompile the kernel with parport stuff included (not module)

OR (easier if you don't want to recompile)

- edit "/etc/conf.modules" and add the lines:
	alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
	options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=auto
  This will add support for a single parallel device for printing
  on the standard pc parallel port (0x378 - fix if you have changed
  in bios).

- initially to get the printtool to recognise the parallel port you
  can execute the following commands:
	modprobe parport			# setup generic parallel port module
	insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=auto	# setup pc style parallel port
	insmod lp parport=0			# setup lp device on parallel port 0

Later,

Jason Nicholls