[plug] KDE licence (was Debian was Mandrake)

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Feb 27 13:37:15 WST 2000

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, russ wrote:
> Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > > BTW, they have a specific section on QT which explicitly says you can
> > > link QT into a GPL program of your own:
> > It doesn't matter what the Qt license says, it is the GPL that says you
> > can't. You need permission from both licensers. If you wrote the GPL code,
> > then you can just license it under a modified GPL which allows linking to
> > Qt. (as sugested by the GNU page you quoted) Unfortunately for the KDE
> > team, they don't own the code and licensed it under an unmodified GPL.
> That quote came form the GNU homepage, not QT. GNU has a special
> section on the QT license that says you can link in QT.

Aaaaargh!! I know, I quoted the relevant part of it back to you, didn't I?
It is written there very clearly that you can only link in code if you
modify the GPL license. Now, read this next bit slowly and carefully:

The KDE team did not obtain the code they are using via a modified GPL.

Now do you understand?

-Greg