[plug] KDE licence (was Debian was Mandrake)

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Sun Feb 27 09:15:17 WST 2000

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, russ wrote:

> > BTW, they have a specific section on QT which explicitly says you can
> > link QT into a GPL program of your own:
> It doesn't matter what the Qt license says, it is the GPL that says you
> can't. You need permission from both licensers. If you wrote the GPL code,
> then you can just license it under a modified GPL which allows linking to
> Qt. (as sugested by the GNU page you quoted) Unfortunately for the KDE
> team, they don't own the code and licensed it under an unmodified GPL.

What in the GPL prevents an author (copyright holder) from linking with
any library at all and distributng the results under the GPL?

My reading of the document is that it describes what USERS can do and does
not constrain the copyright author.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield