[plug] KDE licence (was Debian was Mandrake)

russ russ at powerstech.com
Mon Feb 28 08:24:58 WST 2000

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> > Then this section specifically exempts QT from that saying you may have
> > a GPL program and link in QT.
> No, it doesn't. It says that if you choose not to license your code under
> the GPL, but under a license that is similar to the GPL but specifically
> modified to allow such linking, then you are fine. This should seem

Yes it does. I quote once again from the GNU license page:

"However, if you have written a program that uses Qt, and you want to
release your program under the GNU GPL, you can easily do that. "

I don't see any ambiguity in that statement. It clearly says you can
release GPL code which links in QT. Seems pretty clear. It doesn't say
anything about a license similar to GPL it says GNU GPL.

> If the code is not yours, like parts of KDE do not belong to members of
> the KDE development team, then you must accept the license you recieved
> the code under. If that license was the GPL, then you must adhere to it
> and release derivative works only under the GPL. (and not under a
> modified version of it)

Agreed.

> > The whole GPL seems a bit wishy washy to me. :)
> The GPL is definitely not wishy washy. It is very firm on the point that
> you may not link GPLed software to non-GPLed code. What you quoted was not
> the GPL, anyway, but GNU commentary on how to make a license that was
> wishy-washy in some respects, but still largely the same as the GPL.

That's not what they say. It says you can definitely release your own
GPL code with QT linked in. I still think that's pretty wishy-washy.
:)

--

Regards
russ