[plug] KDE licence (was Debian was Mandrake)

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Tue Feb 29 02:52:26 WST 2000

> > > It doesn't matter what the Qt license says, it is the GPL that says you
> > > can't. You need permission from both licensers. If you wrote the GPL code
> ,
> > > then you can just license it under a modified GPL which allows linking to
> > > Qt. (as sugested by the GNU page you quoted) Unfortunately for the KDE
> > > team, they don't own the code and licensed it under an unmodified GPL.
> > What in the GPL prevents an author (copyright holder) from linking with
> > any library at all and distributing the results under the GPL?
> The copyright holder can do what they want with their code. Who cares? Go
> back and read the preceding thread so you will understand the situation
> under scrutiny. We are talking about code that the KDE team have licensed
> from third parties under the GPL and since tried to distribute under a
> different license - expressly forbidden by the terms under which they
> recieved the code from its author/copyright holder.

Please, rather than making unsupported statements which others can only
veryify with some difficulty, cite examples.

> > My reading of the document is that it describes what USERS can do and does
> > not constrain the copyright author.
> Not even that, it only constrains what redistributors can do - you can use

In the context of the license, redistributors ARE users.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield