[plug] Flash ROMS for Abit Mainbords (BH6)

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 5 16:20:56 WST 2000

Michael wrote:

> [...]

I think the safest way to tackle the problem is to get yourself a copy of
the correct BIOS update, and
I assume that you know where to get this, then download the FLASH.EXE
utility from the same
source to pre-empt any problems there.  You will need to get a humble old
DOS system diskette,
and append the BIOS and Flash utility to it.  Try this on its own to see if
this will overwright the
corrupted BIOS, otherwise you will have to "kill" the corrupt data by
somehow flattening the BIOS
memory.   To do this use say a 100 ohm resistor, the actual value is not all
that important but DO NOT
repeat NOT directly short circuit the BIOS battery---as it will not like
this!!!   Make sure the 5v
battery is as near flat as possible, restart the computer using the DOS
system diskette, allow time for
the BIOS battery to recharge itself from the Power Supply ---- a multimeter
is usefull here, and
then run your Flash utility etc.   This works for some systems----but may
not be the answer for your
system.  Anyhow you cannot be worse off than you presently are (smirk)

Cheers and best of luck,

Len Bird.