[plug] Quake arrangements, Take II, bookings needed

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Tue Jan 11 11:55:18 WST 2000

Hokay, after IRCing with Spice, we have 13:00 to 19:00 on Sunday 23rd of
January on the 15th floor of QV.1 (which is on the corner of Milligan
Street and Saint George's Terrace, Perth - about a block from the
freeway).

We will need DEFINITE NUMBERS, so if you are coming to this, SEND EMAIL
NOW to mailto:quakeathon at brooks.smileys.net to book your seat.

We will probably need to wander up some tables and chairs, which may
amaze and concern Building Security, which may in turn mean doing the
wandering in dribs and drabs a few days each side of the event. If
anyone has a sturdy folding table or two (we're not talking card tables
here), that you could loan the cause for a few days, please mention this
in your email.

STAY TUNED FOR TAKE III, which should be posted here this evening or
tomorrow morning. There has been some discussion of a nominal cover
charge, you may need to know some things to get into and out of the
building on the day, and there may be other important details.

I am expecting there to be IRC access, and if so, non-participants can
expect a channel named #plugqat to appear, at least on the
irc.linux.org.au server. If someone cares to bring a camera, we can have
competitions and post the winners to the website as they happen.

REMINDER: you are expected to have...

 * a WORKING computer with screen and input device, and
   network card

   arrange for someone to bring a network card for you
   if you don't have one, or buy a cheap RealTek for
   about $29 wholesale. I use Digital/DEC Tulip based
   cards such as the NetGear series, as a reasonable
   balance of price and performance, but this is only
   my personal preference, not a recommendation or
   requirement. Do not expect Joe Random PCI Network
   Card to have Linux drivers.

 * someone to carry it all for you if you can't.

 * Maybe $5 as a cover charge (for drinks, nibblies,
   rent/data costs).

Please bring, if you have them:

 * A few plastic chairs

 * UTP cabling

 * Network hub

 * Power board, particularly filtered ones

 * Product samples. (-:

I will bring some AUI to UTP adaptors for those people who don't have
UTP interfaces on their network cards.

*   R E M E M B E R   *  TO SEND YOUR BOOKING EMAIL NOW!

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,