[plug] Gateways and Windoze

Mark J Gaynor mark at scouts.org.au
Tue Jan 11 17:35:44 WST 2000

At 05:05 PM 1/11/00 +0800, you wrote:
>We have a firewall/gateway set up using ipchains and Red Hat 6.0. On the same
>box, the server, we have samba operational, which apparently works with the
>Windoze 95 on Anne's computer.
>
>I am running Red Hat 5.2 with Netscape Communicator 4.07 on my computer, for
>Internet access.
>
>The problem is that Anne wants to use IE4 for Internet access on her
computer,
>as apparently she can use key combinations instead of a mouse, as using a
mouse
>gives her problems, due to too many hours over too many years at computers
and
>computer terminals.
>
>But, while connecting my computer running Red Hat 5.2 to the Internet, via
the
>gateway, is no problem, we cannot get either Windoze 95 or Windoze NT to
connect
>to the Internet via the gateway. She can access web pages on our intranet web
>server, which is the gateway server, but cannot get out to the Internet
via the
>gateway on the server.

Hummmm! sounds like a job for Squid or a proxy server to get round the
firewall
you built. Try this URL: http://squid.nlanr.net/

Red Hat probably has a distribution if you don't want to build one. It also
can
act as a cache as well, saving you some bandwith on frequenly accessed data
that
does not change much.

Mark