[plug] LANS and email and stuff

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Jan 11 21:32:16 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:

> Christian wrote:
> >
> > Bret Busby wrote:
> > >
> > > We have now kind of got an IPchains firewall set up as a gateway for our LAN.
> >
> > Kind of? :-)
>
> Well, it kind of works, we hope.

Run strobe or nmap over it from an external system.  That will give you
a good idea of what's open and what's not (this was in my lecture from
Data Comms last year... *grin*).

> We have a slight problem with outgoing emails, which I am trying to resolve
> off-list.
>
> The firewall file is quite large, and I am seeking advice from a couple of
> people about some aspects of it. I am hoping to avoid sending the file.

I wouldn't have thought it would need to be that big...

Regards,

Christian.

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.