[plug] Which PGP?

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Jan 12 09:22:00 WST 2000

Subba Rao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get back into using PGP. It appears that there are several different versions of PGP.
> Which version of PGP is most widely used and supported?

For memory there's PGP 2.x (which uses IDEA for symmetric and RSA for
asymmetric -- both patented) and then there's the more recent versions
(PGP 5.x?) which support other ciphers like 3DES and ElGamal.  GNUPG
(1.01 recently released) doesn't support any patented algorithms out of
the box (although you can get modules for it) so it doesn't interact
properly with PGP 2.x, it will, however, work with the later versions of
PGP which I think are more standards compliant and flexible.  A lot of
people are still unfortunately using the old PGP 2.x but now GNUPG is
becoming more popular.  The biggest problem tends to be getting a mail
client which supports [GP]PG.  Mutt is supposedly the best...

Regards,

Christian.