[plug] Starting up a server

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Jan 12 11:03:48 WST 2000

>Well, it's actually a FreeBSD server (had no choice) but it's basically the
>same right? So the same information should basically give me a hand on doing
>it?

Similar, not the same, but yes, documentation for one app under Linux will
help you for the same app under FreeBSD. Read the documentation for the
software, check FreeBSD documentation/tutorials/FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org, and check the Linux HOWTO's for transferrable tips.

For additional software, grab the appropriate packages from the FreeBSD
ports collection -- http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ and use pkg_add(1)

Some post-install system config can be done from /stand/sysinstall

A good overview for securing FreeBSD may be found at:
http://www.samag.com/archive/0705/feature.shtml

Hope this helps a little.

Steve