[plug] Quakeathon III - The Final Details!

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 12 17:21:39 WST 2000

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 04:35:03PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
[ Bret Busby wrote: ]
> > Peter Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't need to tell me. With my old machine (and still to a
> > > slightly lesser extent with my new machine), my favourite games
> > > were text adventures[0]. :)
> >
> > Are those like the game of Star Trek that I played when I was
> > young, on an IBM 1130, where the Klingon ships were the "X" 's
> > that moved across the screen, and it was all character based, and
> > the stack of cards that was the program, was about two feet high,
> > and had to be fed through the computer's card reader, to load the
> > game?
>
> Indeed they are :)

Assuming Bret's question was entirely serious (which I must admit I
doubt :)), no, text adventures (or interactive fiction) are... um...
well, others describe it better. See

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/inform/index.html

and

http://www.ifarchive.org/

> Daniel

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

200. You really believe in the concept of a "paperless" office.