[plug] ideas and hints wanted

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Sat Jan 15 22:04:37 WST 2000

Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Is linux usable in 8meg? The interface will have to be gui due to the
> experiance level and gui wordprocessing is much more intuitive for
> newcomers (I presume the kids use word/works at school) - is there a
> lightweight window manager system that would do.

Yes. There are heaps of lightweight GUIs, including one by that name
here:

    http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/lwm.html

BlackBox is another good candidate. Try typing "window manager" into the
search box at http://freshmeat.net/ or it's likely that
http://linux.com/ has a list somewhere.

I haven't used a low-RAM machine under X for a while, but assume that
LyX wouldn't be too RAM-hungry. Is the 8MB in these machines 8x1MB
30-pin SIMMs or 2x4MB (or 1x8MB) 72-pin SIMMs? If the latter, 4MB 72-pin
SIMMs aren't too hard to get and would bump the RAM to 12 or 16MB, a
worthwhile objective.

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,