[plug] fetchmail

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Sat Jan 15 23:16:58 WST 2000

"stephen." wrote:

> Well i give up  -ive spent one houre trying to figure
> out how to use fetchmail to get my mail from my UCC account
> to my Linux machine at home - ime totally baffled - manual pages
> for fetchmail are not helping either.
> below is the output from running fetchmail

>> fetchmail -u steve -p AUTO -A 'password' ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
>> Enter password for steve at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au:

>> reading message 2 of 23 (878 header octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to root at optiquest failed

This says that the UCC end is fine, but it can't send the fetched mail
to the SMTP server on your own machine, which is what the config file is
telling it to do. Are you running Sendmail (or better still, PostFix or
something else halfway securable) on your local machine? If not, that
may get you going. If you just dump the lot into a local mailbox file
you may be able to avoid running an SMTP server locally.

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,