[plug] Bloody Netscape & Debian!

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 09:55:05 WST 2000

Argh! Help!

Ok, I'm getting REALLY sick of Netscape quirks, with Linux (Debian, to be
precise). All I want is a stable browser, with functionality!! I've tried
different Debian's (slink/potato), and different Netscapes, and I usually get
one or more of the following:
  - Unstable on Windows Closing. Every time you close a window (seems to
include dialog boxes), there's a random chance the whole shamozzle will crash
in a heap with a Bus Error.
  - Core Dump. Nuff Said.
  - Lots of error dialog boxes (playing with the Dynamic Motif versions?)
  - Freezing.
  - Dying, leaving a zombie Netscape that needs to be hunted down & killed
  - Constant Bus Errors, preventing use of Roaming User

This last is the most frustrating! Ideally, I want Netscape 4.7 working under
Debian/Potato. I've installed the official tarball (the .deb's of Netscape seem
to be a MESS!), and all works fine-ish, until I enable my Roaming User prefs,
and then whammo! It can't get past the initial Roaming User dialog box! (Where
it prompts for password.) Even if I press cancel to skip Roaming Synchro, it
dies with a Bus Error.

Yes, I know Mozilla doth loom, and it has potential, but it too is unstable.

Yes, I know there are OTHER browsers available, but I need something that'll do
it all (SSL, CSS, Flash, etc...) at least some of the time (esp SSL, as our
Development server uses it). Plus, I use Netscape for EMail (altho I'm using
Pine more & more now).

Any ideas on achieving that Holy Grail of a Stable Netscrape?

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :