[plug] This Mailing list: was SendMail slow?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Jan 28 17:48:48 WST 2000

John Summerfield wrote:
> Highly improbable; if sendmail were that bad, nobody at all would
> use it. However, sendmail is, if not the most-used MTA, then close
> to it. Plug's list is hardly a high-activity one.

> Matt's remarks regarding differences between procmail and smartlist,
> if accurate, constitute a much more satisfying explanation: mailing
> one by one could indeed take quite a while.

Having installed and used MajorDomo on a PostFix system, I have
to agree with John: the major slowth is in MajorDomo.

Having said that, PostFix is smaller, lower CPU impact, and in
principle less susceptible to root rorts. It was unquestionably
easier for me to configure than sendmail but I'm sure there are
circumstances where sendmail's added flexibility (the upside of
its complexity) would make it the obvious choice.

Having said both of those, either of them not only run, but dance
and skip rings around Exchange, in terms of resource useage,
speed, security and standards adherence. I can't imagine what
Microsoft did to Domino to make it appear slower than Exchange,
but it must have been drastic. I wouldn't put anything past them
after seeing them fudge benchmarks against *themselves*!

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,