[plug] Problems building drbd for an SMP 2.2.16 kernel

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jul 5 17:43:48 WST 2000

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I am trying to build drbd for a 2.2.16SMP machine, but am having problems
> when I try to load the module (drbd.o).
>
> It tells me that the module was build for a 2.2.16-3 kernel, while we are
> running on a 2.2.16-3SMP kernel.
>
> This suggests that somewhere there is a version file that contains that
> magic info incorrectly.

Now I'm no kernel hacker BUT it looks like.  Your're running a RedHat built
kernel.  Given that, the kernel source on your machine prolly doesn't match
the config for the kernel you're running.  As such when you built the module
(which will use the kernel sources) it's is building for the wrong type (UP v
SMP).

If that is true, I'd guess that you have serveral options.
1) d/l, build and install your own kernel and build drdb against that.
2) the kernel source and the .config file that the kernel you are running was
   built with and do a make oldconfig.  Then build the drdb modules and see
   what happens.
3) find a binary module and load that ...... YUCK!!!

If you want to go down option 2 I can get you the .config file and give more
details on the steps you'd need to do.

> Has anyone seen this problem before?  Can anyone suggest a fix.

Never had this problem ..... mainly guessing.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */