[plug] Linux and employment

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jul 4 22:28:07 WST 2000

At 07:49 PM 7/5/00 +0800, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>[Darrell Horrocks]
>>2) How transferable is Linux certification and skills into other Unix
>>(Solaris?) skills in practicality and in the minds of employers?
>
>[David Griffiths]
>> not enough experience with Solaris to comment here.
>
>On the general level, most practical unix administration differs.
>There is not much in common between the tools on HP/UX, Solaris, AIX
>and OSF/1 what is this called at the moment? Digital Unix?
>Anyway... :-)

Tru64 UNIX.  Compaq had to get rid of the Digital label (but it lives on
inside many of the machines, as many of the chips are stamped with the
Digital logo: Digital Inside :-)

>Some of them share the administration structure - this is where you'll
>notice the difference between System V and BSD (/etc/rc.d/ directories
>versus /etc/rc.local the file), but the administrative tools are
>different.

Indeed, my experience is with Digital UNIX and Linux, and there are big
differences.  I curse a lot these days when I go back to DU, as so many
things do not work (no tab completion, etc), and the environment is so
primitive compared to Linux :-(

>What you should try to understand is the structure of a unix system.
>This is the same, even if the tools and files have different names and
>behaviour.
>
>Network administration requires the same understanding no matter which
>OS you need to use.  If you understand ethernets, routing and IP
>interface configuration, it does not matter which tool you use to
>configure it.  (But it seems like everyone is using Perl in the
>end. :-)
>
>It is not easy to learn what is different and what stays the same.
>Even after working with 8 different Unix operating system the last
>seven years, I still get surprised on how many good ways there is to
>solve the same problem. :-)
>--
>##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere at td.org.uit.no
> O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>
>http://www.hungry.com/~pere/    | Go Mozilla, go! Go!

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course