[plug] eth0

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Jul 5 12:57:31 WST 2000

At 10:10 PM 7/6/00 +0800, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:
>List,
>
>When you try and bring up eth0 and get a msg "delaying eth0
>initilization" where should I look for the fault? dmesg dosn't appear to
>detect the card? Will try another, but this card was working earlier
>today.

This happens because there was no driver loaded for the device that is
eth0, and conf.modules was not properly set up so that eth0's driver could
be dynamically loaded.

First, figure out what type of driver is needed for eth0. Ie, if it is a
Digital 211xx device, then tulip.o or de4x5.o (or something) will work.

A 'modprobe tulip' should do the trick. A 'tail /var/log/messages' will
tell you if it did.

If this works, then add 'alias eth0 tulip' to /etc/conf.modules, and the
next time you boot, or ifup the interface, the driver should load and all
will be OK.

If you have two cards of the same type, you can add 'alias eth1 tulip' to
conf.modules, but it is not really required. Why?

If you are using ISA cards, then you will probably have to add options. For
example, for an NE2000, you would have:

   alias eth0 ne
   options ne io=0x300[,0x340]

The second IO address is only needed if you have a second card at that
location.  Of course, you will have to configure the cards correctly.

HTH
>Mike

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course