[plug] eth0

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Jul 5 23:19:47 WST 2000

At 08:37 AM 7/7/00 +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:
>
>> insmod tulip reports unresolved symbols
>>
>> [best_memcpy_Ra0b82c11 & best memset_R3e04c7a1]
>
>I think this maans either, a module which tulip relys on isn't loaded, or
some
>feature the tulip needs isn't built into your kernel.

Hmmm, not sure about that. A 'modprobe tulip' should tell us if another
module is needed, but I have loaded the tulip driver many times before and
it does not need any other modules.

I think the problem occurs because the kernel symbols, or the ones in the
module, are versioned. That is what the R304c7a1 means.

You can tell insmod to ignore the versions, which might help, but I notice
that both symbols have an R in the version. What kernel are you using?

You might be able to do:

   insmod -P R tulip

You might have to force it to ignore versions as well, with 'insmod -f'.

>Did you build this kernel yourself ???
>
>Yours Tony.
>
>/*
> * "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
> * same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
> * --Albert Einstein
> */

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course