[plug] Apache Web Server Problem

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Jul 7 17:57:16 WST 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 04:05:31PM +0800, Steve Grasso wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jul 2000, Christopher Darby wrote:
> > I have a problem with my apache web server, ive screwed up the permissions
> > to the directory in which the web sites reside, what do i need to set the
> > permissions to, to get the sites working again...
>
> Your problem as stated is a bit vague. If you've changed the permissions on
> the document root directory to anything other than 755, I suggest you use
> chmod to change them back again. However, if you've changed something in
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (or wherever httpd.conf is) it's a bit hard to
> advise you without details of what you changed in the config file to break the
> server. Back to you.

Depending on your environment and who is publishing, you will
want directories to be 0775 or 0755, and file 0664 or 0644. The
'safer' in terms of who can do this is 0755/0644. A neat way of doing this,
assuming you have no CGI scripts in your HTML source tree (typically
/var/www) is:
	find /var/www -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
	find /var/www -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

You'll want the group writable permissions if you have set up a group
of people who can pulish to your web site.

As always, RTFM on chmod(1) and find(1). HAND.

Yours,
  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_bromberger.com>
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html