[plug] OpenSSH and keys

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun Jul 9 12:42:02 WST 2000

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 10:20:49PM +0800, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Eh, how is version 2 of the SSH protocol proprietary?  I thought the
> protocol was public (on their way to RFC and all), and that only the
> first SSH version 2 implementation had a proprietary license?  Am I
> mistaken?  Why?

Ooops, yeah, you're right -- the protocol itself is not proprietary.
I've even flicked through some of the recent Internet Drafts from the
IETFs SECSH working group a few months ago...  I think the reason I
wrote this was partly because, as you say, the original SSH v2
implementation was under a proprietary license and I thought I
remembered reading that OpenSSH team had "reverse engineered" protocol 2
support (this is obviously not the case, I must have confused it with
something else).  It will be interesting to see how the standardisation
of SSH proceeds given the way the protocol was originally designed and
the fact that it is in such widespread use.  Apologies again for any
confusion.

Regards,

Christian.