[plug] Debate on the issue of certification

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jul 11 16:06:51 WST 2000

Hi,

I wanted to reignite the debate on certification by injecting my opinion.

There are several certification routes that one can go:

  - the Red Hat certification program, a vendor-specific certificate,

  - the SAIR/GNU Linux certification program, now part of Wave,

  - The Linux Professional Institute's (LPI) certification program.

Of these, the LPI certification program has broad industry backing, and is
trying to avoid vendor specifics (in anycase, all Linux distros are very
similar to each other, with maybe 2% differences).

However, I feel that those of us who are into certification should
demonstrate that we want an independent program that it not tied to any one
vendor, as much to demonstate that we want a vialable Linux industry out
there, not tied to any one vendor's marketing needs.

For that reason, I suggest that those who are interested in certification
should take the currently available LPI exams and support their aims. They
can be taken through VUE, and are relatively in-expensive.

Comments please.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com