PLUG and the GST (was Re: [plug] Join)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 12 14:50:29 WST 2000

"Shackleton, Kevin" wrote:

> More to the point, if you collect GST you MUST pass it on to the ATO.
>
> K.
>
> > ----------
> > From:         Mike Holland[SMTP:myk at golden.wattle.id.au]
> > You havn't registered PLUG for GST?

I believe that the point at issue, is: "Is PLUG now registered for the
GST, and, if so, why?" It hardly has an annual turnover of over $100,000
(unless you know something that we don't), as specified for the
threshold for non profit organisations, requiring registration for the
GST. If PLUG is charged GST on any of its expenses, is it more
efficient, to do all the required paperwork that is associated with the
GST reporting, in addition to the GST collection, and, then, reporting
all of this back to the members, in a way that they all understand, or,
calculating the effects of the GST on PLUG, and, determining whether
PLUG can absorb the additional costs, or, whether the costs should be
passed on in membership fee increases?

Funny; I don't remember any discussion of any effect of the GST on PLUG,
and, whether this might affect PLUG membership fees, raised, before the
fees apparently got raised...

If this has occurred, perhaps someone could refresh my memory (Dis EDO
RAM is getting slow and murky).

If PLUG is registered for the GST, is it registered for cash or accrual
accounting? What are the reporting periods?

--

Bret Busby