[plug] Tar

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Thu Jul 13 09:07:08 WST 2000

List,

Still having a little trouble with my backups. Thanks to list assistance
I have succeeded in doing the backup (tar -cvzf /dev/st0 <files> | tee
bk.log and the bk.log appears to contain all the files requested).
Whilst I was on a winning streak tried to restore a file with:

tar xvf /dev/st0 <file>

and received a message that this was not a tar file, skippig to next
header.

I assume what's happened is it has just dumped the files to tape rather
than tar'd them or it has not worked. Tried getting a list of files on
the device with:

tar tvf /dev/st0

and received the same message.

Bit lost for an explanation. I would really like to try a backup/restore
before disaster strikes. Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

Mike