[plug] SSH v2 protocol: easy solution

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Jul 13 10:35:49 WST 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 10:13:37PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Well, I guess we have to install OpenSSH everywhere, thereby swamping
> the proprietary version in open nodes and inviting them to comply with
> the standard as submitted. (-:
> If you own both ends of the link there will be no problems.

Isn't this almost as bad as if everyone were using commercial SSH2?
Sure, if everyone uses OpenSSH then at least everyone is using free
software but it doesn't make the protocol any less proprietary.  I don't
see that proprietary protocols implemented as free software are any
better than proprietary protocols implemented as proprietary software.
For SSH to be worthwhile long-term it has to be standardised and open,
if only to get the peer-review it deserves/requires.

Regards,

Christian.