[plug] SSH v2 protocol: easy solution

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Thu Jul 13 11:28:22 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> My point is based on the comments in the article referred to in my first
> post in this thread.  According to that article the IETF standardisation
> appeared not to be progressing

That's a genuine problem.

> and that incompatibilities were being
> discovered between multiple implementations of protocol v2.

And that's not a problem - not in itself, anyway. It's a normal part of
the IETF process, which requires two independent implementations of
anything to be available. I imagine this requirement is precisely
because initial implementations are bound to differ, and the reasons for
this (e.g. imprecision in the draft spec) need to become understood and
fixed before progress towards a standard can continue. If, as you say,
the spec is not being fixed, then that's a problem.

> If this
> article is correct then the standardisation may never happen (so it's
> not heading in the direction I want at all)

And that I agree is a huge problem. But surely widespread use of OpenSSH
as suggested by Leon is the single thing most likely to jolt the process
into action again?

Colin