[plug] SSH v2 protocol: easy solution

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Jul 13 20:23:22 WST 2000

Christian wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 10:13:37PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Well, I guess we have to install OpenSSH everywhere, thereby swamping
>> the proprietary version in open nodes and inviting them to comply with
>> the standard as submitted. (-:

>> If you own both ends of the link there will be no problems.

> Isn't this almost as bad as if everyone were using commercial SSH2?
> Sure, if everyone uses OpenSSH then at least everyone is using free
> software but it doesn't make the protocol any less proprietary.

The protocol as published and as implemented by OpenSSH is not
proprietary. Commercial SSH2 implementations do not necessarily adhere
to the public protocol statements. Flooding the "market" with
implementations that follow the published standard will invite the
broken derivative of the original product to return to compliance in
future rounds of release.

If the supplier of the broken derivative goes out of business, it will
be far from the first time that a protocol or product outlived its
parents. But I suspect that they'll find a way to keep soldiering on.

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales