[plug] Alpha Linux - HELP!

Bennett, Phillip PBennett at Westrail.wa.gov.au
Tue Jul 18 13:47:40 WST 2000

Hiya all!  Another rather in depth question with regard to the Alpha servers
I have.  I now have two Alphaserver 1000 4/233's in my possesion.  Trouble
is, they won't even INSTALL Linux on them!  I have made the boot disk and
used the boot command at the prompt, but I keep getting this error message :

>>>boot dva0 -file vmlinux.gz -flags "root=/dev/fd0"
aboot : booted_dev='dva 0 1000 0 0 0 0 0', guessing boot_device='fd0'
aboot : loading compressed vmlinux.gz...
aboot OK, now starting the kernel...

	halted cpu 0
halt code = 6
double error halt
PC = fffffc000031b24c
boot failure

I also tried just the >>>boot dva0 -file vmlinux.gz, but that gave me the
same error.  Actually, I spelt it wrong and it gave me the aboot: prompt and
asked for the kernel name.  I typed in vmlinux.gz and it gave the following
:

aboot: Linux/Alpha SRM boot loader version 0.5
aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode version 1.45
<same error as above>

Can anyone help me with this?  Could it be the version of the firmware?  I'm
at a total loss here and am about to throw these things off the balcony!
Alternatively, if someone wants to come in on the weekend and give a hand, I
would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Phil.