[plug] IBM reiterates Linux backing

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 21 11:46:34 WST 2000

List,

I've just attended a seminar presented by IBM here in Perth and was
impressed by their up-front support for Linux.  Okay, that's hardly
surprising given Linux's popularity but in what seems to me a turn-around
in attitude by IBM, they are beginning to embrace the collaborative model
for programme development and support.  Officially they're going to support
Caldera, RH, SuSE and TurboLinux and run it alongside their proprietary AIX
Unix variant.  Thus AIX is targeted at the high-end systems, Linux at the
lower end with some middle ground, such as web servers, supported by both
flavours.

The interesting thing for me, apart from the almost evangelical enthusiasm,
was the fact that this presentation was targeted at IBM's larger government
and corporate clients where conservatism would normally have been the
watchword.  High on the list of Linux's merits was the fact that new
releases are made "when they're ready" rather than to a pre-planned
timetable, leading to stability, reliability and high availability we
respect in Linux.

Cheers,
Denis