[plug] Linux and GPS

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Jul 21 15:18:18 WST 2000

> Has anyone seen/heard anything about getting Linux to talk to GPS
> boxes.  They use a serial connection (usually), so something that
> can talk to them across a serial port should be cool.

A quick search for 'gps' on freshmeat.net gave me a lot of relevant
links.  Here are some of them.

[http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/01/24/917236817.html]

   gpsd is a daemon that listens to a GPS or Loran receiver and
   translates the positional data into a simplified format that can be
   more easily used by other programs, like chart plotters. The
   package comes with a sample client that plots the location of the
   currently visible GPS satellites (if available) and a
   speedometer. It can also use DGPS/ip.

[http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/09/09/936881078.html]

   The QtGPS package contains a piece of software for Unix/Linux/X and
   a GPS receiver. It performs logging and replaying of a journey,
   supporting a moving-map display. QtGPS works with Lat/Long and
   British OSGB (Ornance Survey) co-ordinate systems.

[http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/12/17/945464675.html]

   GPS3d is a set of utilities that lets you manipulate your GPS from
   your Linux box. One nice feature is the ability to view GPS data
   (track, waypoints, fix, etc.) on an OpenGL, 3D texture-mapped model
   of Earth. GPS3d doesn't require a GPS device to run. GPS3d also
   includes a generic serial port broadcaster daemon than can be used
   to multiplex access to any serial device (clock,gps, etc) over the
   internet.
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere at td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>
http://www.hungry.com/~pere/    | Go Mozilla, go! Go!