[plug] Linux and GPS

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Jul 21 15:27:08 WST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, John Breen wrote:

> Has anyone seen/heard anything about getting Linux to talk to GPS
> boxes.  They use a serial connection (usually), so something that can
> talk to them across a serial port should be cool.

"gpstrans" is a Debian program that talks to Garmin GPSs

I intend to try it out as soon as I get a cable for my GPS ($100 for
a cable - ouch)

I'll let you know how I go if I get it working.

Also Mayko Xmap (www.mayko.com) (Debian package xmap-smotif) apparently
interfaces with gpstrans, and allows you to use scanned-in images of maps,
so you can have X mark the spot of where you are now.

 - Matt