[plug] Named Problems

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Jul 21 17:54:09 WST 2000

Steve Alilovic wrote:
> Hope someone can help. The named service keeps shutdown down by it self. Has
> been running perfectly for 9 months.
>
> Err/TO getting serial# for a site that we second.
> db_free :DB_F_ACTIVE set ABORT

It could be that your name server's getting flooded. That might cause
both the serial retrieval problem and the abort.

For a more general cause of that Err/TO error message:
http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm
QUOTE
Err/TO getting serial# for "worldcat.org"
CATEGORY: xfer-in
SEVERITY: info
PAGE: 309-311
FURTHER INFO:
I've also had this happen when I deleted a zone from the master's
named.conf but not the slave's named.conf and then reloaded the master.
To fix it, update the slave's named.conf to remove the zones you took
out of the master's named.conf.

If there is a router's access list and/or a firewall with TCP port 53
disabled (in or out) between the slave and the master then the slave's
requests for serial number will get eaten.  To fix it, open a hole in
the access list or firewall.
ENDQUOTE

Colin