[plug] HOWTO PDFs

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Jul 25 10:03:03 WST 2000

Kevin,

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> I downloaded the 14 MB HOWTO tar.gz file from Linux.org, but the PDFs are
> all damaged, according to Acrobat 3 or 4, in Windows.  Winzip didn't mind
> unzipping the file though.  Is there a problem that Winzip doesn't recognise
> unzipping in Winzip rather than tar? I can't access a Linux machine until I
> rebuild it :-(

When shackled to Windows, I've never experienced any difficulty extracting
gzipped/tarred archives using WinZip 7 or 8.

Can't comment on Acrobat 3/4 inability to read the PDF's though, except to say
that when generating PDF's here, frequently we need to open them in Windows
Acrobat and save them on top of themselves before they'll read reliably.

Perhaps send me a (small) problem PDF and I'll try and read it here under
Linux? At least confirm broken PDF or not.

Steve