[plug] Press Release: Richard Sharpe & NS Computer Software gaincontracts on open source software

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 25 22:21:06 WST 2000

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> 24-July-2000
>
> Richard Sharpe and NS Computer Software Services P/L
>
> In what may be a world-first, Richard Sharpe and NS Computer Software &
> Services P/L (NS) has gained two contracts on open source software.
>
> NS now has contracts to work on Ethereal, the popular GTK+-based packet
> capture and decode package.  These contracts include:
>
>   - Writing both a user's guide and a developers guide for Ethereal.
>     This will provide high-quality documentation for Ethereal.
>
>   - Writing an Ethereal dissector and a tcpdump decoder for the new
>     BXXP protocol. This conract was obtained via SourceXchange, the
>     marketplace for opensource development.
>
> NS Computer will seek to further develop its role an capability as a player
> in the open source software world.  These developments complement its
> already strong position as a supplier in the rapidly expanding arena of
> Open Source Software, with a Samba course and a Linux course having been
> developed and being actively presented.
>
> ABOUT ETHEREAL
>
> Ethereal is the popular open source GUI-based packet capture and decode
> program. It was initially developed by Gerald Combs, and since its release
> it has gone on to attract such a large number of contributions that it now
> handles more protocols than any other packet capture program. It is also
> having protocol modules for draft RFCs being developed.
>
> ABOUT NS COMPUTER SOFTWARE & SERVICES P/L
>
> NS is a computer software and services company that employs Richard Sharpe.
> It offers software development and system design and management services
> world-wide.  NS is based in Adelaide.
>
> ABOUT RICHARD SHARPE
>
> Richard has been involved in the open-source arena for many years, having
> first contributed software in 1985/6 when he made changes to sendmail to
> make it easier to check config file changes, and when he contributed back
> fixes to the now-defunct CMU TCP/IP software for VMS.
>
> Richard was a contributor to the book SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24
> Hours, and was the main author of Special Edition, Using Samba.  He is also
> a member of the Samba team and the Ethereal team.  Richard has written and
> presents a Linux course and a Samba course around Australia.
>
> RESOURCES:
> Ethereal can be found at www.zing.org
> Further information on the BXXP protocol can be found at
> http://www.invisibleworlds.com/developers/drafts.html
>
> Regards
> -------
> Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
> Samba (Team member, www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member, www.zing.org)
> Contributing author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
> Author, Special Edition, Using Samba

Is this acceptable use of the mailing list?

The posting is self promotion; is not seeking advice on a problem, and
is not seeking paid assistance, but is rather, apparently, using the
mailing list for free advertising of commercial services.

The posting is entitled "Press Release". I thought that such items
should be directed to such entities as freshmeat, slashdot, perhaps,
Linux Gazette, etc.

I may be mistaken, but, to me, this does not appear to be acceptable use
of this mailing list.

Could someone please clarify this?

Thanks.

--