[plug] Postgresql help && RH6.2

James Robert New james_new_us at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 15:20:57 WST 2000

HI All

I have installed postgresql with my last full install
but have never used it before.
I now need to use it and am unsure about the docs I have read.
could someone tell me how to use it?
{I just need to do a few sql assignments and it would be handy
to do it wiyhout logging into the schools sql account}

[prompt]postgres
postgres does not know where to find the database system data.
You must specify the directory that contains the database system either by
specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the PGDATA environment
variable.
?? what is the PGDATA environment variable.

[prompt] psql template1
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
connectDB() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?
??How do I check this?  (i looked in gtop but no)

[prompt] postmaster
/usr/bin/postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
You must specify the directory that contains the database system either by
specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the PGDATA environment
variable.

this is what I have done

checked to see if postgres has a superuser account = yes it does
logged into postgres and tried to run postmaster
looked at the docs but they seem to be about complicated admin stuff
and my needs are only simple
TIA

james_new_us at yahoo.com

likes linux