[plug] Press Release

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Jul 27 10:28:11 WST 2000

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 10:45:23PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > Is blatant
> > self-promotion for no other purpose acceptable on this list?  There are
> > a lot of people with certain interests (some commercial, some not) but
> > it doesn't mean they seek to promote those interests at every turn.
>
> OK, so he's over the line for you, not for me. One plus, one minus, one
> probably minus but not actually comitting yet. How low a score does he
> need for a reprimand?

My count is: plus: 1, minus: 3, donkey voters: 2

If the acceptability of this sort of practice is uncertain then perhaps
it should be discussed and determined, either by the PLUG hierarchy or
by the masses on this list?  For example, is promotion of a commercial
enterprise on this list acceptable?  It's been done before by yourself
and most people have accepted it because it was very on-topic (countless
newbies on the list looking for training so you, and others, ran several
for-profit training sessions).  Perhaps that's acceptable only when it's
something that a very sizable proportion of subscribers are likely to
want?  It also made it more acceptable since you were already well-known
on the list.  What about semi-commercial activity like the recent post?
Promoting the activities of a company, even of those specific activities
are not necessarily for profit.  It seemed off-topic to me and it felt
like spam.  What about promoting the non-profit activities of an
individual?  I would say this might be acceptable if it was relevant and
on-topic (and rare).

What do others think?