[plug] Linux seminar at ECU.

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Jul 28 12:08:15 WST 2000

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:36:44PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Oliver,
> I'd avoid the term "free software" in favour of ESRs "open source". For
> any Windoze user, "freeware" is associated with all those crappy
> binary-only utilities, including shareware, nagware etc. The term seems to
> have caught on, and is easier than talking beer vs. speech.

I strongly disagree.  If you're going to educate people then you may as
well do it properly.  After all, we're not talking about someone reading
the the term on a headline somewhere and getting the wrong idea, we're
talking about a seminar designed to give people an accurate
understanding of the terms and concepts.  Anyway, knowing Ollie I'm sure
his explanation will be excellent. :-)

>   Its great to spead the word at Edith Cowan, but I think you can
> concentrate there. The serious universities alreay have _plenty_ of Linux
> advocates. <duck>

That's true, I'm one of several at Murdoch. :-)